Death Souljah is someone I've wanted to review for a while now. Though he was originally a Cloud Rap artist, he's been experimenting with various sounds the last few years including this Electroclash approach. All of it is sung and produced by Death Souljah himself. Like most of his releases it's short, clocking in at about 20 minutes.
Serein is a decent opener, a quality that's kept for the release's entire tracklist. There aren't any duds on it, though it struggles with the songs blending in together because of how similar they are.
Although it also shows some of this tape's weaknesses. The sound here is glossy and synthetic, a satisfying style that comes with some problems. The production often feels a bit thin, understandable as it's the artist's first time doing this genre. Souljah's vocals are clean as is the mixing in general though they blend in too much into the production for my taste.
Maybe it comes off like I dislike this tape but that's not true at all. Songs with more distinctive melodies and vocals like Rotten and Hurt are solid for what they are. Another highlight is Spider in her Hair, whose vocal chops I wish he did more across the tracklist.
This is an enjoyable release, containing a style I hope Death Souljah expands more on in the future. Despite my critiques, this is still good albeit somewhat forgettable.
The appeal of this music is how sugary it is, even if it's also full of empty carbs.
7/10
- kreyzi
No comments:
Post a Comment