Sunday, August 9, 2026

Protect - Ball Hog for Life (2024)

Styles: Trap, Rage | US

Protect gained decent popularity with this tape, though it was also quite polarizing among underground Rap fans. Most of the songs are pretty short, largely being less than two minutes long. 

„Niggas sayin' this, niggas sayin' that
I don't really give no fuck 'cause at the end of the day, I'm Ball Hog, like Ball Hog or die, like, it's no extra shit, I'm not rockin' with no nigga
Niggas know how I'm comin', niggas know I stand with the guys
Ball Hog shit, nigga, 'til I die, pussy“

The rapping on this is similar to many of his peers in modern Rap, slurred and at times off-beat. It can work but Protect is so lifeless on much of this album, his flows and melodies are just boring. He sounds like he's about to fall asleep on some tracks like Ion Wanna Talk, really though you pick a random track from the album and he'd probably have that issue. Production-wise this isn't anything special either being composed of echoed, basic Trap and Rage beats with no flavor to them. Fall Guys infamously uses a beat originally for Osamason until that song was leaked, leading to Protect unfortunately getting the beat instead and selling it. I'd be open to a modern-sounding Rap album that's 40 minutes long if it was just hit after hit or had a good variety of tracks but this album has none of that, aimlessly going through the motions for the entire runtime. Hotspot has a great beat produced by CXO and thankfully one of Protect's better performances on the album, making this track a highlight. 

This record isn't terrible but most of it is too devoid of interesting ideas, production, flows or lyrics for me to have any fun listening to it. It's an example of how quickly Rage was being overdone as a genre before it evolved into the more noisy variant that's big now. 

5/10

See also: Osamason, Hardrock

Listen here: Spotify, Apple Music, SoundCloud 
- kreyzi 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steve Hiett - Down on the Road by the Beach (1983)

Styles: Surf Music, Ambient Pop | UK, England West Sussex's Steve Hiett  was primarily a photographer rather than a musician. Despite be...