"Take a dip in the Shrine Lake
Sinking in the murky water just to get the fuck away
Stay quiet but I got shit to say
I just say what's important but I don't got breath to waste
I slowed down in a lot of ways
I got sick and tired of forgetting all my days"
- Dusk Till' Dawn
Lately, Shrine Lake has been teasing a new EP for the first time in four years. Today, I had the privilege of hosting an interview with Jacob from Shrine Lake.
CountSwagula: How long have you been making music?
Jacob: I always loved music since I was very little, my mom and dad showed me a lot of music early on that has shaped me, anywhere from A Tribe Called Quest from my mom to Suicidal Tendencies from my dad. But I started making music like 10-11-ish years ago in 2015. I started doing it sort of as a joke, just making like unserious rap songs and parodies of songs and stuff with my friends. And eventually realized I genuinely liked making music.
Q: Where are you from? What was your upbringing like?
J: I’m from Sacramento, CA and have spent most of my life here. I was born in Fremont, CA in the Bay Area and that’s where most of my family is originally from. My upbringing was a mixed bag for sure. I was always into art and creation, from drawing to clothing to music and more, and I always lost in my own little world for sure. Which caused some difficulties for me as a teenager and young adult from socializing to mental health issues. I feel like as an artist when you’re approaching it in a true way it opens the door for many confusing ideas and outlooks of the world that can be too much for a teenager or young adult to process, but I wouldn’t have it any other way and I’m happy to have dealt with the issues I once had, because they have made me into who I am.
Q: What are your biggest aesthetic influences for Shrine Lake?
J: I think when we were first finding our footing with this project and this sound we were definitely pulling from all the big names in the “Witchhouse” scene. We were listening to a lot of Salem, and oOoOO and White Ring and all them. But as time has progressed I think we pull from all corners. I love just about any and all music and art and I don’t like to put boundaries up for myself and what I enjoy and what inspires me. As of late I get a lot of inspiration from Standing on the Corner, a band from New York. They are great and so fresh sounding, it pushes me to keep trying new ways of making music and art.
Q: I saw on your page you were teasing a new EP. What should fans expect?
J: It’s been 4 years since we put out a full project so I don’t know if anyone has any expectation really, but just know I’m trying to bring something fresh to our discography.
Q: How would you describe Shrine Lake's sound?
J: I usually just tell casual listeners it’s “electronic” but for those in the know it’s definitely witch house at its core.
Q: What is your favorite song from Shrine Lake?
J: My personal favorite is also a fan favorite, Dusk Til Dawn off our second tape will always have a special place in my heart, I poured so much of my soul into those lyrics and it encapsulates an era in my life so well, it makes me emotional revisiting that piece
Q: Who are your favorite artists right now?
J: As of late I’ve been listening to a lot of Standing on the Corner as previously mentioned, I’ve also been listening to a lot of Prince's old albums and live performances they are amazing. But I mean I’m always listening and looking for new and unheard music.
Q: Do you have any favorite movies?
J: It’s hard for me to pick favorites with movies because there are so many I enjoy and I always blank on this question but to name a few; Stuart: A Life Backwards, Akira, City of God, Life Aquatic, and Midnight Cowboy.
Q: How did you come to work with Hackle / Burlapper / Straeh?
J: I met him in 2018 through a mutual of ours and we started collaborating when we were about 19 years old and we became friends through that process. we made a bunch of music together and with others for about 3-4 years. The Burlapper stuff came about in 2020-2021 not long after we were getting started with the Shrine Lake stuff. He just came to me with an idea and I executed the best way I could.
Q: Sleep Has Her House has a very special place in my heart. It's an amazing track. What was your creative process like when making it?
J: Thank you, and at the time of making that I had just started my journey of sobriety, I had been abusing benzos and opiods and many other things for about 5 years strong. So my mind was everywhere and nowhere at the same time. I originally made that instrumental for a full song with vocals and all but couldn’t get it right so I just posted the instrumental.
Q: That's a really powerful story. I'm happy you shared that. If you could say something to somebody in that position now, what would it be?
J: Just keep your head up but keep your eyes on your feet. One foot in front of the other, it’s an everyday battle and it doesn’t get easier you just get used to it. There’s nothing I can say to shake anybody out of that because it’s really up to you and how you want your life to play out. But for anyone in that position I’d say try to keep your head on tight and find healthy distractions.
Q: Is there anything you'd like to promote or shout out?
J: Shrine Lake New Ep on the way, many collabs on the way, and maybe even merch on the way in the foreseeable future
Follow Shrine Lake:
- CountSwagula
No comments:
Post a Comment