Tombfell is a 23-year-old Appalachian rapper and producer. He is notable for his unique sound, taking inspiration from rural living, witchcraft, cloud rap, and plugg. Tombfell's singles how far would u fly and Farrawayy are great showcases of his style.
Dead Fawnz is among my favorite songs from Tombfell. It is a danceable, bitcrushed trap romance song. Sentimental emotions clash with more abstract imagery to create a musical atmosphere uniquely Tombfell.
"Real life dead fawnz and dirty shoes
dead eyes, real highs I see the view,
look up, pink sky, I saw the moon
I put it in my pocket when I thought of you. "
CountSwagula: What was your upbringing like? Where are you from?
Tombfell: I grew up with my grandma and my dad and step-grandpa in a small town in West Texas out in the middle of the Permian Basin. And we were lower-middle-class, and my dad drove an oil tanker
Q: Why did you start making music?
TF: I started making music because I just loved listening to it so much that I wanted to be able to pick apart the songs I liked and be able to make my own music that I enjoy. I grew up on a lot of country and rock music, but I found Lil Peep and $b in like 2016/2017.
Q: Wizards and witchcraft are a prevalent theme in your work. What about them appeals to you?
TF: I like the idea of solitude in the woods a lot, so I feel drawn to wizards because they’re typically alone in the middle of nowhere just doing what they love the most. And the witchcraft is from being with my girlfriend for 6 years so far, and her being a witch has heavily influenced my life and music. Back to the wizards though, one of the first games I ever played was Wizard101 and that game was sick, I was kinda ass tho lol.
Q: What genre would you call yourself?
TF: Something like Wizardtrap or Wizardgaze. Sometimes I just make cloud rap.
Q: Wizardgaze is an awesome name for your sound. Who are your biggest influences musically and aesthetically?
TF: Black Kray is a huge one, Smokedope2016, Lil Peep, Ghost Mountain, and honestly I listen to a lot of Kesha so I think I take some inspiration from her in some way
Q: Dead Fawnz is one of my favorite songs ever. What was your creative process like when you were making it?
TF: In that time period I was listening to a lot of fakemink so I had tried to make a hoodtrapish beat with my own typa twist, it was a lot of bitcrushing, on the master and on my vocals. I used electrax for the entire melody and I think a mayze drumkit for the drums. That song has a lot of imagery that I took inspiration from Red Dead Redemption. I had recently gotten the good ending on my like 10th playthrough and I was jus fw that vibe so I tried to put it in a song.
Q: Dead Fawnz really sounds so special to me. I can relate to a lot of the imagery growing up in the rural Midwest. You mention the backwoods a lot in your music. Do your experiences with the woods influence your sound?
TF: Most definitely they influence it, I like to sit outside on my porch during the sunrise and sunset with no phone and just listen to the birds and cicadas sing. I’m from a small town in Texas, but I moved to the Appalachian mountains in 2021. It’s a completely different world than the desert I spent 17 years of my life in. In Texas, you could see as far as your eye would let you in any direction, but here in Appalachia? The trees make like a dome over top of you, it’s just green everywhere. It's the prettiest place on Earth.
Q: Do you have any dream collabs?
TF: Dupontpavilion is a big one right now, his sound is so unique. Other than him, I’d love to work with Smokedope, Ghost Mountain would be sick, and like Luv is Rage 2 version of Uzi. Black Kray would be dope as hell.
Q: What are your favorite movies? Are there any that you would say you take inspiration from?
TF: Forrest Gump was the first movie I remember watching, Stand By Me, literally every Scooby-Doo movie, Talladega Nights, The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, and Walk the Line. Ouija is a big one
Q: What does the future look like for your music?
TF: The Tombfell page for now won’t be seeing uploads, but I’m gonna be making a new name soon and it’ll be exclusively good vibes and wizard music. No more of the depressed stuff on the new page. I’ve been trying to introduce more positivity into my life recently.
Q: Is there anything you'd like to promote or shout out?
TF: Shoutout to you Count Sw4gu1a.
Special thanks to Tombfell for participating in this interview. I'm a fan of his work and he was wonderful to work with. He's definitely a great small artist to keep eyes on.
Follow Tombfell:
- CountSwagula
No comments:
Post a Comment