VANDUR$KI is an Australian witch house artist who has been making music under the moniker for over a year now. He recently released an EP titled Into Tha Mist. His sound is dark and gloomy, reminiscent of the more experimental side of groups like GothBoiClique.
CountSwagula: How long have you been making music?
VANDUR$KI: I’ve been making music since I was 11-12, starting on SoundTrap if you know, you know it’s horrible. I was using loops making off-key ass beats, but I started taking this seriously in 2024 when I was 15-16
Q: How did you come up with your name?
V: Well, the 'Durski' part in my name is part of my actual last name then the Van part is from Van Gogh. Kinda funny now I think about it, but I always thought I'd put out quality music and not get the attention I wanted for it, kinda like Van Gogh.
Q: That's really interesting to me! Would you say Van Gogh has any influence on your art?
V: Hmmm. I feel like he definitely expresses his self identity through his paintings, and with my music I’m pretty open lyrically and I’d say my stuff is fairly unique, so I guess in a way, yes he does.
Q: What was your upbringing like? Where are you from?
V: My upbringing was fairly normal, I’d stay with my mum during the week and off with my dad during the weekend but he wasn’t around much, so it was just kinda me and my mum and she worked all the time for us so I was on the internet a lot finding all of this music that was blowing my mind like Peep, Kray, Wicca, Spooky Black (Corbin) and I’ve loved all that stuff ever since, I'm from Australia and there’s never really much to do but the nature here is beautiful. I gotta get out more fr.
Q: Who are your biggest aesthetic influences?
V: Ohhhhh that’s a hard question. I definitely take a lot from my environment. Rn I live in a boring ass area and it’s pretty dodgy in most bits of this area and can be kinda depressing sometimes. I’m a big fan aesthetically of Harmony Korine's film style. But sometimes I’ll take inspiration from Wicca and Spooky Black. Man, that Without U video is so good. I love a lot of just like low quality videos filming kinda absolutely nothing something nostalgic in a way.
Q: I really liked your new single Sick Love. What was your creative process like when making it?
V: A light way to put it is I can be a bit stupid sometimes, I was putting faith into things that I shouldn’t. at the time I was drinking a lot all the time and I was lovin that more than it loved me haha, it's also about a few toxic relationships I've been in. I've been on both sides of that it’s kinda about a pushing and pulling feeling between someone or being like that to someone. I produced that song outside on this covered area I got in my backyard on a rainy ass day, then I was like yo this is hard as hell and went inside asap and recorded. Kinda makes sense with the gloomy sound.
Q: I was shown an unreleased music video that was aesthetically similar. Should fans expect more music like your last few singles? Where do you plan on going stylistically?
V: Definitely, my new music is kind of like the Into Tha Mist… single but with a lot more mixed into it, I got country mixed into it, I got shoegaze mixed into it as well all mixed in with witch house of course. kind of a harsh sound but atmospheric too. I have an outro song on there with no drums and just vocals and surround sounds and FX. it’s really cool, couple of music videos too where I can show some of my editing talents which you can see a lot of my influences. I got some rapping on here too it’s pretty cool and fairly refreshing and unique for the witch house subgenre I'd say. It’s definitely the direction I want my music to go and I'm really proud of all the mixing I did. 100% all me except for that outro song being mixed by someone else.
Q: I'm excited to see where you take your sound! Speaking of, what is your favorite song that you've made?
V: Unreleased and coming I'd say is In Tha Mud and In This World. For released songs I'd say Leave Tha House, IDRK, Echo, and Country Boy which was a song I featured on by a dude called Forester he makes dope music and that song is beautiful, he prods all of his stuff and I have a few songs I produce and mix on his upcoming project.
Q: Do you have any advice for other small artists?
V: Be yourself, Copying someone else is boring. There’s only gonna be one you and you gotta do what’s true to you don’t fake it for anybody, you can tell when people copy the music just doesn’t feel real at all. I feel that it’s quite emotionless.. BE YOURSELF!!!! and just keep making shit even if it takes 1000 years to blow up if that’s what you want. Don’t make it for views make it for you.
Q: Is there anything you'd like to promote or shout out?
V: Fuck data centres shoutout Forester, shoutout Smog, fuck the Oasis Index, shoutout my cat he cool as hell he’s sitting with me rn head butting my phone.
Special thanks to VANDUR$KI for reaching out to us. He's a cool artist with big things on the way.
Follow VANDUR$KI:
- CountSwagula
The new face of Witch-house.
ReplyDeletelove u vandur$ki
ReplyDeleteYEEAA YEAA YEEEAA YEA YEA
ReplyDelete