VoidDweller is a prolific digital hardcore/experimental hip-hop artist who has been releasing music under this name since 2016. Her music is chaotic, loud, and incredibly unique. I've been following her career since around 2020 and she was a very big influence on my music taste.
"Voiddweller's playing at my house, my house
Everyone left yeah, their dead and now I'm alone
The apocalypse at my house, my house
Another dead body for the zone
For the zone"
- DEATH GRIPS IS PLAYING AT MY HOUSE (ENGAGEMENT BAIT)
CountSwagula: How long have you been making music?
VoidDweller: In some form or other since I was like a preteen probably, but a lot of
that was garbage using like MTV music maker and Beatorator for PSP rather than any real music software. I think I "acquired" FL Studio in
like 2010 or 2011 and made more garbage with that & had a couple
other bands and projects & shit along that time until i started
doing music under the VoidDweller name in 2016.
Q: What was your upbringing like? Where are you from?
VD: I lived in Iowa for like 30 years and it sucked the entire time, but I just moved to Pittsburgh like 2 years ago and its been sick as hell. In Iowa where I lived there just wasn't anything to do or anybody my age & I had to drive like an hour and a half to play a "local gig" and not get paid, which is like whatever cause the people that do actually put on and play gigs there are the coolest people in the state easily. In Iowa and the Midwest in general there's like basically zero clout-y or social climber behavior because the vast majority of people do not care. So it's nice in that sense that anybody there who is doing the damn thing is absolutely doing it because they want to and not for the clout points or whatever. So much love to all my people in Iowa but I have been enjoying Pittsburgh a lot and don't plan on being back for a while.
Q: Null/Void is a very special project to me. It was the first cassette tape I ever bought back around 2020. How do you feel about that project nowadays?
VD: I mean it's fine lol. It's kind of the nature of any musician or artist to hate their work as like time grows on and they grow. It's not my favorite record I've ever done so far but people seem to really like it and its the first one to kick off the logo that I'm going to use until I die lol. I made a record prior to this that wasn't really what I wanted to make as far as like being noisy and screamy and stuff, so this was the first record I really just made like exactly what I wanted. I just think that what I want now I can like better articulate lol.
Q: Which of your projects are your favorites?
VD: I think right now it's probably Fuck You Fuck Off but I always have really fucked with Illegal Content too over the years.
Q: How would you describe your sound? Who/what are your biggest influences?
VD: Back in the day it was hella Death Grips and I guess it's still a little Death Grips, but B L A C K I E is the reason I realized I could just be
one person in front of big ass speakers screaming. I do also have a
whole bunch of influences and shit that change project to project ig. Corey Taylor from Slipknot is also a huge influence cause in the self
titled and Iowa he's straight up rapping in places lol. Idk The Prodigy
is probably underrated in my influence pile.
Q: What are your dream collaborations?
VD: Oh man idek, me and like a million dollars lmao. I guess any of the people I just named for influences but it's not like these people really do collabs anyway. I'm usually pretty open to doing shit w people if they're interested but I'm also really bad at reaching out to people.
Q: You released a track called "Die Hard is The Best Christmas Movie". Do you still stand by this opinion? What are your favorite movies?
VD: Idk that I'd call Die Hard the best Christmas movie anymore, like its pretty good but idk about the best anymore lol. I actually realized the other day that Hardware from 1990 is a Christmas movie lol. It's between that and fuckin Eyes Wide Shut maybe. Idk there a lot of good non-standard Christmas movies around now I think.
Q: How did you come up with your logo?
VD:It's actually a photo of my face from an old music video from the band before I started VoidDweller stuff ran thru some filters. A lot of people think it's a ski mask but it's actually just a picture of my face with like heavy makeup on it and ran thru mad filters.
Q: What does the future look like for your music?
VD: I have a few projects I really really want to get done soon just cause I've been wanting to do them for maybe like 5 or 6 years now & I am starting to feel time really beating down on me. I'd like to get my shit together somewhat and book some tours. that's something I've always struggled to do my whole life is to tour. The only thing I can say like for certain is that I will write more music because I have to as a way to maintain my sanity. Anything other than that can kind of go one way or the other, esp given like political climate and climate disaster and whatever.
Q: Is there anything you'd like to promote or shout out?
VD: I guess just my Bandcamp, I should have CDs for Fuck You Fuck Off by the
time this is out. I also made a Patreon that's s but underutilized atm, I'm going to make some more behind the scenes videos and exclusive songs
for that. I have it set up right now so people can drop in samples to a
hidden patron only Discord channel on my server and I will have to make
samples out of them but I've just been working my day job a lot and not
keeping up with it like I should be. I plan to change that soon but it's
there rn for only 3.50 a month. Oh shit I should plug my website https://voiddweller.xyz other than that I think we are good. Thanks for having me :)
Special thank you to VoidDweller for participating in this interview. Her music is unique and something to keep an eye on.
Follow VoidDweller:
- CountSwagula
No comments:
Post a Comment